Today, I wanted to look at some photos that I had posted on Facebook back in 2014. I knew the year, not the exact date, but I spent up to an hour trying to find out how to search through my Facebook photos by date or year. And I am here to tell you exactly what to do if you have the same problem.
Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be an option to only look at your photos on Facebook and sort them by year or search them by year or date. This is something everybody wants, yet for some reason there still isn’t an easy way to do it.
However, you still have an option to reduce the amount of scrolling needed and that is achieved by controlling your timeline – and I will share with you everything you need to do in order to quickly find a photo you published on Facebook in the past.
As long as you know the year when the photos were published, you’ll have an option to narrow down your search and make your life a lot easier.
The entire process is relatively simple once you know it and I will tell you how to do this, which is the only way right now to search your photos on Facebook by year or date.
1. Note that this only works on a PC or Laptop (so not on the mobile phone app). It might work if you log in to your Facebook account using a browser on your mobile – but it’s a lot easier on PC / Laptop.
2. Log in to your Facebook account and go to your Timeline by clicking your name in the upper left corner.
3. Right under your name, there is a bar with various tabs. Hover your mouse over the “Timeline” tab and select “Grid” view:
4. Now look at the left sidebar: a new menu will be there somewhere, with a button you can click under the “Date posted” category. Click that, like seen below:
5. Now all you have to do is select the year you know that you have published the photo in and scroll down through your timeline until you find that particular post. It’s really easy to navigate through those thanks to the thumbnails you can see.
What if you have a ton of things posted on your timeline, by both yourself and your friends?
You can still narrow down things a little bit more and make it even easier to find what you’re looking for. Here’s what to do:
1. Log in to your Facebook account and go to your timeline following all the steps above, basically seeing all the posts on your timeline published at a specific date.
2. On the sidebar to the left, right above the area where you selected the year, you have a few more options:
As you can see in the image above, you can look at posts on your timeline that were published by yourself only, only by yourself or all the posts. Additionally, you can only look at posts you are tagged in: these are all useful options that make searching for that particular photo or link you shared years ago a bit easier.
So this would be how to search your photos on Facebook by date. Not the easiest method, especially if you use to publish a lot of things on your timeline, but at least it’s easier that having to aimlessly scrolling down through years of photos until you find the one you are looking for – and the only method that exists so far.
In my case, it got the job done relatively fast – it took me longer to figure out how to do it, but in your case, since you’re reading this, you are already ahead and will get there sooner rather than later.